Saturday, May 23, 2015

Test Mounting the Seats

So I've finally been able to spend some time working on the Ford Ranger seats that I've had for quite some time now.  I've managed to be able to mount both of them.  Here's what I had to do:

First, the Ranger seats sat to high when I mounted the stock mounts to the Jeep mount.  So I had to cut off the bottoms of the Ranger seat leaving only the slider.  It was a royal pain in the ass.  Ford uses some kind of plug that I can only assume is spot welded together to fasten the slider to the brackets.  Only thing I could do was use a cutoff disc to slice through each of these "fasterners".

Once the sliders were only there, I drilled holes to match the stock seat bracket that I already had and then that one was able to be mounted on the driver seat.

To fabricate another set of brackets to mount the passenger seat, I just copied the dimensions of the stock one and then added everything up to a total length (times 2) and went up to Ace Hardware and purchased to bars of angle steel.  Just L-shaped cold-rolled steel, 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 4ft 11 gauge.  I didn't think 11-ga was thick enough (not when compared to the steel the original seat bracket was made from), but since it was angled I felt that would add enough strength to compensate.

I basically cut it out and welded it together to create almost the same shape as the original bracket.  Once the bracket was cut, I cut holes in it and mounted it to the sliders on the bottom of the Ranger passenger seat.

Now with brackets all mounted up, I put the seats in to test fit everything and mark off where the brackets need to be on the tub.

With the seat positions all marked off, I drilled holes in the tub and also the brackets and then test fit the seats with actual bolts.  The seats could actually slide now on their sliders and I could test the reclining part of the seats.  So far all seems well.  The only tweaks I need to make is to the passenger mount holes which were a little off, and also I still need to determine what to do with the transmission shifter.  I'm probably going to have to move it forward about 2-3 inches which means some cutting/welding will have to happen under the tub with the linkage. Here's a shot of what the seats look like in the Jeep again, but this is before I permanently mounted them with their holes and bolts in their final positions.


Next steps are:
  • Paint the seat brackets and sliders
  • Paint the transmission shifter
  • Mount the driver and jumpseat seatbelts
  • Find a passenger seatbelt and mount that too
  • Refinish the parking brake, and figure out where to put that in the cab and how to make it work.