Monday, April 13, 2015

Spring into action

Spring is here!  The weather is warmer and paint sticks to metal better in warmer weather.  So I've started working on the DJ again.  Seems that it's developed a transmission leak over the winter.  Best that I can tell, it's due to the transmission shifter linkage resting on the speedometer cable which might be loose causing the leak.
I cleaned up that leak and started working on patching more of the holes in the interior. I can't believe how many drilled holes there are in this thing.
I've been coating any exposed sheet metal soon as possible with primer (anything I have on hand...looks like I've been mixing between buying grey and black primer).  The corners of the wheel wells were repaired with fiberglass some time in the past, so the gaping holes there couldn't be patched with sheet metal and welding.  So I ended up using body filler instead.  Once I had all that drying, I moved onto figuring out how to mouth the Ford Ranger seats on the stock seat brackets.
I originally cut off the ends of the stock seat mounts so I could fit the Jeep brackets on there, and just bolted them on with a single bolt on each side.  Just wanted to get an idea of the height and measurements front to back when the seat is slid on its track.  Tossed the seat in the DJ and took a look.
So....  It looked cool to see a seat in there again, but after trying it out it was very obvious to me that the seat was MUCH to high up.  There was only about 2 inches of clearance between the top of the head rest and the roof of the Jeep.  Looks like the combination of the stock brackets bolted to the Ranger seat brackets makes it sit too high up.  So I ended up cutting off the Ranger brackets and left only the sliding track.  Then tested attaching the Jeep brackets back to the seat temporarily and it sits much better.  The seat adjusts frontwards and backwards quite nicely too.  It goes from way to close (my knees are almost in the dash), to almost too far away to reach the pedals.  Perfect!  So the next step is now to drill so more permanent holes in the sliders, mount the brackets to the sliders on the Ranger seats, and then drill new holes into the tub of the Jeep to mount the seat in.  But before that...finish up the body patching and roll on a few coats of truck bed liner.