Tuesday, July 1, 2014

New Jeep DJ5

Welcome to my Jeep DJ5 blog.  I picked up a used Jeep DJ5 on Friday June 27th, 2014 from a car flipping business in Savannah, GA.  I have been looking for one of these for a few months now.  I wasn't sure if I wanted one or not, but the more I researched them the more I realized how cheap and easy it was going to be to obtain and work on one.  How about a pic?

This is what it looked like when I purchased it.  It was listed in an Ebay auction that I won with no contest at all.  I used some ninja bidding skills and bid at the last 20 seconds and won it for $1300.  Probably a little higher than I wanted to spend, but this thing was in fantastic shape compared to other Jeeps I've seen on Craigslist.

It was a bit older than I wanted, and also didn't have the 6-cylinder motor I was looking for.  But I couldn't get past how good of shape it was in.  I can always drop a new motor in it later anyway.

It's allegedly a 1971 Jeep DJ-5B, but there's a number of things on it that lead me to believe that it's actually older.  Maybe a 1968-70 model.  The motor is a 4-cylinder Chevy Nova engine hooked up to a 2-speed PowerGlide transmission.  That motor wasn't available on a 71, so either it's mislabeled or I have a FrankenJeep that was pieced together using parts from other Jeeps.



The motor starts and runs, although it sounds like it may have a slight issue in the top end.  Maybe a minor adjustment needed in the valvetrain.  Transmission shifts in and out of gear fine. The brakes are completely shot and don't work at all.  I managed to take off the driver side rear wheel and drum tonight to get a look at it.  Based on all the videos I watched on how to repair drum brakes, I believe the brakes are missing a lot of parts and springs that are needed to make them work properly. Plus the master cylinder looks a little rough and might need to be replaced.  I'll get some pictures of this stuff the next time I take it all apart.

I'll post a shot of the interior as it looked when I bought it, but I just spent a few hours tonight removing all of it.



I believe this Jeep was possibly a total frame-off restoration done in the late 80's.  The underside of it is very clean.  No rust or deterioration that I can see on the frame, and minor surface rust on the body.  The engine bay is painted the same color as the rest of the car leading me to believe that the motor/trans were removed at one point.  The interior looks to have had a lot of work done on it too.  There was a full headliner added, side panels, and back door panels.  I think the panels were a combination of grey and gold/orange when brand new but time and a lot of sun exposure caused all of it to fade and fall apart.

I've removed the mail tray and all of the interior panels so all that is left is the bare metal.  Still have to remove the carpet on the floor in the front.  It was glued in (like the back) and there's a lot of stuff bolted into it like the seat, seat belt, parking brake, trans shifter, etc..etc. So it'll take a little more effort to pull that carpet out.

I'll post more of my ideas, photos, progress and even some videos later.